1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police to review Taser use as families struggle to cope

Sun Nov 14, 4:51 AM ET Local - Miami Herald

BY SUSANNAH A. NESMITH, [email protected]

The 12-year-old girl shocked by police with a 50,000-volt Taser used to dream of being a police officer when she grew up.

Not anymore, her mother said Saturday.

"Now, with this, she says she's scared of the police," Viviana Rojas said.

Miami-Dade police officer William Nelson caught Rojas' daughter skipping school on Nov. 5. When the unarmed girl ran from Nelson, he chased her through a parking lot, then zapped her with the stun gun when she ran into traffic, according to his report.

The police department is still reviewing the incident, but Director Bobby Parker said the officer will likely be disciplined.

Nelson could not be reached.

·
1,334 Posts
Thats twice in a few days in Florida thats happened. My God, if the liberals in this state keep seeing articles of 6 and 12 year old kids getting zapped by tazers we will never have them as a use of force option.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Thats twice in a few days in Florida thats happened. My God, if the liberals in this state keep seeing articles of 10 and 12 year old kids getting zapped by tazers we will never have them as a use of force option.
But the thing is, twice the officer has saved the child before they inflict harm on themselves. I think that, yeah these stories are gonna piss off the liberals, but that these stories are good because their saving the stupid kids from being stupid.....damn, maybe he should have let her run into traffic....I hate stupid people.

·
1,334 Posts
But the thing is said:
I certainly agree with you, both situations appeared to be defused in a manner not to endanger the child and in both cases prevented injury to the officers, teachers, or kids themselves. Its quick thinking on the officers part and obviously decisions that have to be made within seconds. Unfortunately the media, public, and IA has more time afterwards to start complaining and second guessing than the officer did during the incident.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It's a shame the media is so cut-throat...I suppose that's why I'm getting out of this industry.
Industry? You mean you're getting out of the media or LE? I'd hate it when I see anyone leave LE, especially for some reason like the media. Now if you're leaving the media because its cut-throat... maybe you shouldn't. If all the pro-LE people leave the media, the only think that'll remain will be the reporters who have nothing better to do then bitch about detail work.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Industry? You mean you're getting out of the media or LE? I'd hate it when I see anyone leave LE, especially for some reason like the media. Now if you're leaving the media because its cut-throat... maybe you shouldn't. If all the pro-LE people leave the media, the only think that'll remain will be the reporters who have nothing better to do then bitch about detail work.
I work at the Discovery Channel. The fact that this profession is cut-throat isn't the only reason I'm leaving. Going into LE is something I have always wanted to do, and my chance is finally coming. So I'm leaving media mainly to pursue LE.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Haha I should...but I should also leave on a good note..even though this place has given me nothing but ulcers and misery. But ya know what, their ratings are sucking and they are having to revamp all the networks..gotta love kharma!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.