Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a chance to get into one of the 05 model crown vics yet? Our department just got about 10 of them and had my first experience with one today. Steering wheel has changed, it now reflects that of an amusement park bumper car (though the way some people drive this could've been done on purpose!) and the ignition is in a really weird spot. the grip for the ignition is also smaller making it hard to insert, turn, and go in a quick situation. Guess its just gonna get some taking used to. Anyone else have any experiences good or bad?

·
Registered
72 Posts
the 05 crown victorias are nice cars ! they are rockets, are comfortable and have excellent control. my only suggestion is that someday police cruisers will come equipped with built in accomodations for gear like clubs, flashlights, forms etc... - places on the dash, between the seats or on the cars ceiling that have receptacles to hold commonly used items; that would eliminate the need for carrying a duty bag . by the way, the Chevy Impalas failed our test - we had them for 2 years and everyone gave them a thumbs down - - like several departments, we dumped them and now have only Crown Victorias.

·
Registered
372 Posts
05 Crown Vic :thumbup: They are friggin quick! The power definitely got bumped up. I agree about the ignition, I dropped the keys on a couple occations when getting used to it, I don't know what that change was about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Love our new CV! Lots of go-go pedal to get into trouble :D , Only complaint is the radio antenna on the quarter. EMS will have a blast taking that out of some sh**bags forehead. :shock:

·
Banned
117 Posts
I dont know of anyone elses personal opinion, but people believe that guys will be ripping those antennas off if someone doesnt exactly want to get into the back seat of the cruiser. Ford has the same specs on the '05 as they have on previous model years P71s as far as the size engine and all that other good stuff. It is good that Ford is boosting the power in those cars especially for pursuits, hopefully they took the brakes into consideration. I forget where I saw or exactly what was said but someone posted that when they got into a chase, the brakes ended up heating up so much that the hub caps or the rims melted or something and had to send the car back to Ford to get fixed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just got assigned an '05 C/V-LOVE IT! Got out of a '00 w/123K on it-like night and day. I like the new fat steering wheel, but I agree w/you guys on the ignition key size, smaller is not better. It also has rack and pinion steering, I wonder how it will hold up versus the old steering box? I've been anointed the cruiser maint. troop-what do you guys think of switching the fleet over to Mobil 1???

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
[. Ford has the same specs on the '05 as they have on previous model years P71s as far as the size engine and all that other good stuff.

I was looking at the cvpi website for the 05 crown vic the horsepower did go up from 239hp to 250hp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts