‘He saved lives... now I’m not there to protect him’ | MassCops

‘He saved lives... now I’m not there to protect him’

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Dec 11, 2014.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

‘He saved lives... now I’m not there to protect him’
    121014boisvertpw001.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Photo by:
    Patrick Whittemore
    WE GAVE HIM OUR WORD: Peter Boisvert, who served two tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, is now speaking up for his native Afghan interpreter as he seeks a special visa.
    Thursday, December 11, 2014
    Print Email Be the first to comment
    By:
    Erica Moura

Peter Boisvert, 29, served two tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, the latter as a platoon sergeant who worked directly alongside a native Afghan interpreter.
    Today, the nine-year Marine remains in constant contact with his interpreter — often through 3 a.m. Skype calls — to help him navigate the bureaucracy of the special immigration visa process and, hopefully, give him a chance to come to the U.S. Here’s Boisvert’s story, as told to the Herald’s Erica Moura:

“When I deployed to Afghanistan ... I’m a platoon sergeant for my last tour as a senior enlisted guy. Twenty-three, 22-man team. Living with the Afghan highway patrol. I don’t speak Pashto, I don’t speak Dari or Farsi. I speak a little bit of ghetto Arabic. And that doesn’t get you anywhere in the Middle East. So I relied on my interpreter — heavily.
    They’re in combat with you. They’re right there. And when you think about it, really, I have to be there, I’m a Marine. I signed the contract. What is their driving force for them to serve with us? Think about their purpose and their mission, it’s totally different than mine. It’s their country, not mine. It’s their lives when we leave, not ours.
    My interpreter, in my opinion — whether it happened or not — I know he saved lives. Because he was able to give me that situational awareness that I otherwise wouldn’t have. ... Now that I’m not there, I’m not there to protect him.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op..._saved_lives_now_i_m_not_there_to_protect_him