Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Get off my lawn!
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, start thinking about taking laterals, upping the cutoff age, dump that tattoo stipulation stop treating cadets like shit, I'm not saying drop the DI mentality but this hazing on day 1 and weeks to come after of "Just leave we don't need you" needs to stop. Having a cadent make garbage truck sounds while colleting trash or a cadet ware another cadets underware on his head. I just saying things changed alot when Timothy Shepard died (1989) from heat stroke and renal failure because he wasn't allowed water, now they force water down your throat. How about this they will take a 21 year old kid with absolutely no police experience that scored a 99 on the test over a cop that has been working in a major city for 10 years already has attended a MPTC academy and degree and scored a 89. But hey I guess sticking a recruits head in a toilet bowl will make them a better trooper somehow.

A staffing shortage is causing a shakeup inside the Massachusetts State Police, according to an email the NBC10 Boston Investigators obtained from the leader of the agency.

According to the memo, 46 veteran troopers are being pulled from their specialty units and temporarily reassigned to barracks, where they'll help patrol the streets.

In his communication to troopers, Col. Christopher Mason said the department expects to lose anywhere from 200 to 250 members during 2021.

An incoming class of 172 trainees won't be able to offset all those losses after they graduate in October and begin reporting for duty next January.

"These numbers represent very real staffing challenges," Mason wrote, noting the barracks have contractual minimums at each location. "As you know, when staffing reaches this level, the ability to use time off, officer wellness, forced shifts and increased backfill overtime costs are all negatively impacted."

Sgt. Mike Cherven is a 25-year veteran of the state police and also serves as the president of the State Police Association of Massachusetts, the union representing more than 1,800 troopers.

"This is the first time I've seen this in my career," Cherven said. "I think we need more troopers and we need them now."

So why such a shortage?

For starters, state figures show there has been a wave of retirements since the MSP endured a series of high-profile scandals, like the widespread overtime payroll fraud that lead to the dismantling of Troop E.

This year, a little more than 2,003 retirees are receiving paychecks. Five years ago, 1,481 former troopers were receiving pension benefits.

Cherven told NBC10 Boston a growing anti-police sentiment across the country is discouraging some people from entering careers in law enforcement.

He said others are opting for local police departments because they can get an incentive that offers higher pay to officers with a degree in criminal justice. State troopers lost the ability to collect the Quinn Bill compensation several years ago, which has hurt recruitment and retention, Cherven said.

"An educated officer is needed in today's society," Cherven said. "And we need to make sure they are receiving a comparable incentive to other departments."

State police spokesman David Procopio said the department makes staffing plans around anticipated retirements, but 2021 has seen higher levels than previous years.

Procopio added the temporary reassignments are being made to "continue to fulfill our responsibility to protect our roads and our communities" while decreasing a reliance on overtime shifts.

The 46 troopers are being reassigned from the department's homeland security and special investigative units — veteran troopers who work homicides, track gangs and conduct arson investigations.

On Tuesday, a spokesperson with the Essex County District Attorney's Office confirmed to NBC10 Boston that the office is temporarily losing two troopers who investigate unexpected and unattended deaths. A spokesperson with the Middlesex County District Attorney's Office confirmed the same number of MSP personnel.

A spokesperson with the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office said it is also losing two troopers.

"We are aware and are making adjustments as necessary to help address the shortage," the spokesperson added.

And a spokesperson with the Suffolk District Attorney praised the work of MSP personnel assigned to the office.

"We do not expect a noticeable impact if there are temporary deployments," the spokesperson said. "Such deployments to other government agencies happen on a regular basis. If there is a surge in need, we will address it."

According to Mason's memo, the changes will take effect on July 18. Some of the troopers will need refresher training, while receiving marked cruisers and body cameras.

"I fully expect there will not be 100% consensus on this approach," Mason wrote. "However, once a Trooper, always a Trooper."

Cherven said the alternative would be some members working around-the-clock overtime, unable to take vacation and at risk of burnout.

The union president said the importance of having well-rested troopers was evident earlier in July, when a lengthy standoff on the highway with a heavily-armed group ended peacefully without any shots fired.

"It's robbing Peter to pay Paul," Cherven said. "But we understand the necessary evil of this. It's an unfortunate situation we find ourselves in."

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree on many fronts..

1. The age needs to be upped to 38, like major cities.

2. Abandon the Civil Service. It’s the only way they’ll be able to hire quickly. You can’t do that when it takes 4 months for the Civil Service to release a list.

3. On the subject of the academy. I’ve been told they’ve gotten a lot more conscious of how they push recruits. They’re in a tricky spot because they need all the help they can get, but you don’t want to be rolling people out there who aren’t mentally ready for the job. That being said the days of hazing and the more extreme in your face yelling is almost certainly gone, they just can’t risk losing a recruit to that and that in and of itself is scary. If a recruit can’t handle some screaming at the academy, how’s the road going to be?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Without question they will be having three massive classes off of this 2021 civil service exam. It’s almost a foregone conclusion given the rhetoric we’ve been seeing. I’ve never seen the MSP so willing to divulge information like this, but I guess this is there way of recruiting and saying we need some effin bodies here.

And they’re 100% right about the Quinn bill. I won’t say that was the determining factor for me going with Boston over the MSP, but it definitely was a factor.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Without question they will be having three massive classes off of this 2021 civil service exam. It’s almost a foregone conclusion given the rhetoric we’ve been seeing. I’ve never seen the MSP so willing to divulge information like this, but I guess this is there way of recruiting and saying we need some effin bodies here.

And they’re 100% right about the Quinn bill. I won’t say that was the determining factor for me going with Boston over the MSP, but it definitely was a factor.
State doesn’t have any type of education incentive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
State doesn’t have any type of education incentive?

They used to have the Quinn bill incentive but they got rid of it a few years back, that was an extra $25,000 in your pocket every year just for having a higher degree. Boston has the Quinn bill incentive still, not sure about other towns/cities.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
They used to have the Quinn bill incentive but they got rid of it a few years back, that was an extra $25,000 in your pocket every year just for having a higher degree. Boston has the Quinn bill incentive still, not sure about other towns/cities.
We have full Quinn as well, I actually just lucked out and finished my masters while the final year of our contract kicked in so it was a nice 8% bump!

But I agree, they have to make the job more appealing...and everyone likes money.

Reactions: Sooty

·
Registered
226 Posts
We have full Quinn as well, I actually just lucked out and finished my masters while the final year of our contract kicked in so it was a nice 8% bump!

But I agree, they have to make the job more appealing...and everyone likes money.

Exactly, good luck to them getting that incentive back though, especially after the OT scandal and just the sentiment towards LE in general.

All I’ll say is this, they better hope that Charlie Baker stays in office for awhile because if a real liberal democrat or even a moderate democrat get in they may not get their every wish with academies.

I think most of these retirements are from the 74th to 77th RTT’s, not 100% sure, but I do remember the 78th RTT and 79th RTT were 2005 and 2006. Then Deval Patrick came in and screwed them over the next 8-10 years. They didn’t have one single academy from 2006 to 2016, bet you they’re kicking themselves over that, but then again they may not have had much control over that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Exactly, good luck to them getting that incentive back though, especially after the OT scandal and just the sentiment towards LE in general.

All I’ll say is this, they better hope that Charlie Baker stays in office for awhile because if a real liberal democrat or even a moderate democrat get in they may not get their every wish with academies.

I think most of these retirements are from the 74th to 77th RTT’s, not 100% sure, but I do remember the 78th RTT and 79th RTT were 2005 and 2006. Then Deval Patrick came in and screwed them over the next 8-10 years. They didn’t have one single academy from 2006 to 2016, bet you they’re kicking themselves over that, but then again they may not have had much control over that.
After just missing the waitlist in the last RTT, I have high hopes for a second chance

·
Registered
226 Posts
After just missing the waitlist in the last RTT, I have high hopes for a second chance
Based on how the scoring on the Civil Service has gone since 2017 roughly, this would be my guess...

94 and above - First RTT off this exam
87-93 - Second RTT
82-86 - Third RTT which doesn’t seem like a stretch to imagine

The only thing that will potentially throw a wrench into the MSP’s plans to push through academies to get back to full staffing is whoever the Governor is. Baker hasn’t committed to another term yet and there’s people like Maura Healey and Joe Kennedy III hanging around out there with big political pockets and a name with some weight. If Kennedy gets in then it might as well be Deval Patrick 2.0.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts

Deval really helped set this in motion. Going so long between classes and having so few during his tenure as governor surely plays a factor in this mess.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Deval really helped set this in motion. Going so long between classes and having so few during his tenure as governor surely plays a factor in this mess.

He didn’t have ANY lol. Imagine being a qualified applicant during the Deval Patrick years? I’d be pissed if I got passed up back then just because he didn’t want to to have any classes. This staffing issue is a direct issue that he and the House and Senate caused back then. That being said, once the 78th and 79th RTT’s retire in the next 5-6 years, there will be a big gap in the next batch of retirements. I’m pretty sure the 80th RTT graduated in early 2016, so 20 years for them (not counting AL and sick time) would be 2036. So once the 79th RTT and all those troopers retire there’s not going to be a lot of retirements for awhile. For now though that might as well be a lifetime away for the MSP judging the issues they’re facing.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Deval was in office from 2007 to 2015, there were no MSP classes from 2006 to 2016. It’s almost like he pretended they didn’t exist haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There was a class in the fall of 2011 and Deval was governor until 2014. One of the reasons there wasnt a class from 2005/2006 to 2011 is due to all the alleged abuses at the prior RTT.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There was also a class in 2013/2014.
Yeah you’re right, my mistake, not sure why I thought the 80th RTT was 2016, but they were 2012. So maybe there won’t be as much of a gap between retirements as I thought.. yeah, MSP is screwed.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
He didn’t have ANY lol. Imagine being a qualified applicant during the Deval Patrick years? I’d be pissed if I got passed up back then just because he didn’t want to to have any classes. This staffing issue is a direct issue that he and the House and Senate caused back then. That being said, once the 78th and 79th RTT’s retire in the next 5-6 years, there will be a big gap in the next batch of retirements. I’m pretty sure the 80th RTT graduated in early 2016, so 20 years for them (not counting AL and sick time) would be 2036. So once the 79th RTT and all those troopers retire there’s not going to be a lot of retirements for awhile. For now though that might as well be a lifetime away for the MSP judging the issues they’re facing.
I wish I still had the list I put together when that thread I posted was being discussed (though seeing the date I understand why I don't.) It still amazes me that Cadillac Deval and WWII are neck and neck for the longest time between RTTs. Now the curiosty is killing me again. I might just have to try to recreate that list.

·
Registered
226 Posts
And 2015.
79th RTT I know for a fact was 2006.
80th RTT now I know was 2012
81st RTT was I guess 2014 now from a quick Google search I just did
82nd RTT was 2016
83rd RTT was 2018
84th RTT was 2019
85th RTT was 2020
86th RTT which is ongoing is this year of course..

So I had my RTT’s mixed up and I was admittedly wrong. I guess Deval Patrick did oversee a couple classes (80th and 81st).. still though, only having two classes during an 8 year term as Governor is hurting the department right now. In an ideal world I’m sure the MSP would like to have a class once every couple of years, so from 2006 to 2016 they should have had 5 classes in that 10 year span, instead they had 2. Now they’re playing a bit of catch up and pumping out an RTT almost every year. This will be the 4th straight year they’ve had an RTT and I don’t think it’ll stop anytime soon.

I understand there was a lot of questionable tactics used at the academy during the 78th and 79th RTT (and probably before that), but that’s a pretty simple fix, get those guys out of the academy process.. not a reason to constrict the department.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts