Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plows needing amber lights

17K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  VTCOP 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there are laws regarding plow operators needing oscillating yellow amber lights? Or...Is it just an urban legend that plow operators need an oscillating yellow light when they plow?

:?

#2 ·
I believe it falls under the CMRs. I do know it is illegal for plow operators to have any color other than amber. for those plow guys that have the white strobes in there headlights and red strobes in the tailights there in violation of MGL c90 s7E.

Any person who violates any provision of this section for which a penalty is not otherwise provided shall be subject to a fine of not less than one hundred dollars, nor more than three hundred dollars.

any plow that has a contract plowing roads in massachusetts must comply with MGL c90 s7E and 540 CMR S.22.

for those plow guys that have traffic backers ( break lights alternate with the reverse lights) and headlight flashers you could always get them for equipment failure.

#5 ·
ok so it starts off with amber strobes then they want to add some red in there to be noticed then there is white from a distance it looks like it is flashing blue.... so where does it end shall we allow plow trucks and tow trucks and mass highway trucks to have blue lights too. why do hearses need wig wags...... whenever i see wig wags or red strobes coming i pull over. so the day a person doesnt pull over for a cruiser or other "emergency" vehicles because there is so many tow trucks and plow trucks out there running reds and whites and causes an accident because at the last minute they realize it is an emergency vehicle it is ok. Granted im 100% for safety but lets look at it in the long run

#6 ·
A bit off track here I think... WBPD628, I believe, is asking if the plow guys are required to have the yellow light. Sounds as if he is asking if a plow guy can be gigged for NOT having a yellow light. I have encountered the same problem with plow operators backing out into busy traffic, as if they have the right of way, with the forward facing corner strobes going which no one can see. I have been poking around Ch 90 looking for the same w/out much luck

#7 ·
EMT..

Your mixing apples and oranges. :?:

"oK so it starts off with amber strobes then they want to add some red in there to be noticed then there is white from a distance it looks like it is flashing blue.."

People confuse amber for blue ? Maybe we start another thread:

"When to do an immediate threat !".

Let's use a little discretion.

Snowy day, guy plowing with warning lights =good

Sunny day, same guy driving with warning lights for no reason= bad

#8 ·
I know that certain towns require the hired contractors that plow for them to have some sort of warning lights on their vehicles (strobes, rotators, corner strobes) That makes sense to me because the plows are out during a time with reduced visibility, going much slower than normal and present a hazard to the ass that should be home during the storm but instead is out flying around like an idiot. I also think it is fine for vehicles such as Mass Highway and tow trucks using red/white/amber colored strobes in a proper manner (side of the highway doing some sort of work were there is a hazard that may be hit). I think it is safe to assume that any LEO would use every available means to ensure their safety on the side of the road so why would anyone want to bust the balls of the people who are also out there doing a service and could be hit.

#9 ·
Thanks patroldan81! That's exactly what I was asking. RESPECTFULLY, If people want to talk about other matters, please put them somewhere else. I am asking if anyone knows SPECIFICALLY if there are any laws on the books that SPECIFICALLY pertain to requiring plow operators to have an oscillating yellow light when they are plowing on public roads.

Thanks

#10 ·
I've quoted the actual amber light permit before somewhere around here. Plows should have amber (only) lights while doing their job and they do NOT need a permit for that purpose. Of course if it was june and a plow truck was doing 80 in the BDL at night with a full amber light bar going, well that's another story.

#13 ·
There was another thread dealing with amber lights back in January.

MassCops Forum Index » Main Forum » Law Review » RMV cracking down on corner strobes and amber lights
RMV cracking down on corner strobes and amber lights
Posted: Thu Jan 20 2005, 17:17 Post subject: RMV cracking down on corner strobes and amber lights

#14 ·
One flake of snow falls, and all the snow junkies are out, with thier plows, rotating amber lights. Even though they are out making money plowing driveways, they have thier lights flashing, driving around like no one else is on the road and there is a state of emeregency. Snow monkies. :)

#15 ·
EMT764911";p="59527 said:
ok so it starts off with amber strobes then they want to add some red in there to be noticed then there is white from a distance it looks like it is flashing blue.... so where does it end shall we allow plow trucks and tow trucks and mass highway trucks to have blue lights too. why do hearses need wig wags...... whenever i see wig wags or red strobes coming i pull over. so the day a person doesnt pull over for a cruiser or other "emergency" vehicles because there is so many tow trucks and plow trucks out there running reds and whites and causes an accident because at the last minute they realize it is an emergency vehicle it is ok. Granted im 100% for safety but lets look at it in the long run
EMT764911
Honestly are we for real?? white looking like blue from a distance? color blind? and of the plow trucks I have seen on the road with the red strobes in the REAR only because that is the lens color of the break lights id rather see that flashing strobe telling me that the truck is backing into trafic then spend thousands repairing my truck, or worse wind up in the hospital...
And as far as pulling over because you see a plow truck (with mounted plow during a snow storm) with activated lights; EMT how many times have you pulled over because a vehicle in front of you has red strobes/alternating lights... I mean honestly let's be a little realistic...Is it really a menace for plow operators to have extra warning capability on their vehicles...I dont think so... And as for the hurses with the wig wags and purple strobes/rotators...why dont you just leave that one alone...I would love to be in court when you tell the judge you pulled over a herse cause you think he shouldnt have wigwags activated during a funeral procession...

Also I think that we have to give the driver's of the commonwealth a little credit that they can tell the difference between a tow truck, truck with plow, and dump truck, from a police car...so the argument about oneday people not pulling over for emergency vehicles because too many other vehicles have flashing or rotating amber lights etc is an invalid one...

Like the other replys said Diescression is the name of the game...I know that's what I was taught at both the municipal academy and the Air Force academy...

#16 ·
Well if a plow driver puts clear corner stobes in his truck and a mini bar on the roof what's the big deal. I had a little amber rotator on my truck for when my truck was parked in the lot's we would clean when i plowed for my dads friend. I would be running one of the frontend loaders and sometimes i never saw my truck the snow was so thick. I'd rather have a plow with strobes on. As long as he's not bothering anybody and obeying the traffic laws.

Scott :rock:

#17 ·
Well said USMCMP...

For pete sake people, its not like the plow truck drivers are pulling people over, flashing a constable's badge and writing out a citation on toilet paper. :shock:

You know what pisses me off? These idiot people who walk in the road after the snow storm obstructing traffic and causing accidents. Thier excuse? "The sidewalks are too snowy." Screw you, the sidewalks in my city are usually cleaner then the roads!

#18 ·
You know it would be so nice if people on the outside were like the people who live in base housing...when ever it snows no one is around they all stay home and off the roads, usually the only people we have to contend with while plowing on base are the cops, and the odd person running to the convenient store...It's a plow operators dream!

#19 ·
I respect the laws and those who enforce them. Honestly, when I have been out plowing, I have see numerous trucks with clear/red hide-a-way strobes drive right past cruisers and not get stopped. I beleive that it is not only the discretion of the police, but also of the plow drivers. Most of the time we the plowers are out in the middle of the night, when there are no cars in sight, so I wouldn't see the point in stopping someone in that situation. Also, being a police officer, they should realize how stupid drivers are today, the blue lights on their cruisers aren't just for getting peopl eout of the way, aren't they also for safety once you get to an accident, so no one runs into you??? Personally, I shut my amber strobes off once I am in a parking lot plowing, and leave my hazards on. I will however activate all of my lights when pulling out onto extremely busy streets, especially once the snow has ended and we are cleaning up, and there are hundreds of cars on the roads again. Once again, I believe it is both the discretion of the police, and the plow drivers. To me, I would rather risk the ticket over getting into an accident with a little compact car, putting the 750lb. plow through their car, and them sueing me because they "couldn't see me coming."

#21 ·
Also I think that we have to give the driver's of the commonwealth a little credit that they can tell the difference between a tow truck, truck with plow, and dump truck, from a police car...so the argument about oneday people not pulling over for emergency vehicles because too many other vehicles have flashing or rotating amber lights etc is an invalid one...

Apperantly you work in a isolated enviroment

#25 ·
Macop";p="60963 said:

You got a real good point there.
How about the MSP tow trucks and their low bed with the lights going. I'm sure that'll F up a few people. :p

#26 ·
Foxracingmtnridr";p="61631 said:
Macop";p="60963 said:

You got a real good point there.
How about the MSP tow trucks and their low bed with the lights going. I'm sure that'll F up a few people. :p

Does MSP actually have tow trucks, or was that someones wishful thinking when they built some models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.