Next Boston Academy (New Thread All Posts)

Discussion in 'Boston' started by kwflatbed, May 2, 2008.

1. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

One would hope they would take at least that many with another class to follow thereafter. With 40% of the department eligible for 100% of their pension within the next 2-3 years.

MrCapias likes this.
  2. KiloFoxtrot1313

KiloFoxtrot1313 New Member

If they are down so many officers, why are they not putting on class after class? Or maybe just maybe using some logic and starting a class with somewhere around 115 new recruits. That way they plan for the usual 20-30 drop out early on in the process, while not leaving a seat empty since one person couldn't handle getting yelled at the first day.

3. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

4. 43225

43225 New Member

BPD grabbed the top 640 on their list to send cards too. I was talking to a recruiting coordinator today, they got all the way down to 90 I guess. Pretty crazy to think they got that low. I'm curious if they'll try to put on two academies from this list or start fresh with the 2017 list after establishing people with this academy.

5. jt92

jt92 New Member

Two of my professors at bunker hill right now are chiefs of police and both have been saying all semester that anyone who has their residency in Boston has a real good, nearly walk-on shot to get on in the next two years, and that there are 800 or so positions opening up during that period. And I just read in the globe that only 1500 people took the test for Boston this year, so as long as people can not do drugs I think anyone has a pretty decent good shot at getting hired before 2019

6. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

It's my understanding that they WANT to put in another class in this summer. Whether that happens or not is a different story. They are currently processing people

7. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Lol that's the spirit dude, sounds like cream of the crop material right there

8. jt92

jt92 New Member

Haha as if Boston isn't full of shitbags already

9. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

As long as you can pass a psych test, bpd is the easiest job to get on in the state right now.

10. Detail Cop

Detail Cop MassCops Member

There are quite a few guys retiring but it is not 800. The retirees will not be replaced 1:1. Some units will lose guys to districts hurting for manpower. Cadet program is back and they will get first crack at the job once eligible. Taking laterals again is an option the department will consider and probably makes sense to do. New contract brings a guy with 5 years on the job, with Quinn, to about $115k base. City will ALWAYS choose OT over new hires. With the political climate, expect big time minority numbers in classes over the next few years.

"nearly walk-on shot" just kind of pisses me off too. Class graduating in June has lost 30 BPD recruits. Now, I tell everyone with the means to establish residency and take the test. But i think anyone with "walk-on" mentality is set up for disappointment.

woodyd likes this.
  11. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Easiest? Tell that to the 35+ that quit the current academy.

jckc444 and woodyd like this.
  12. jt92

jt92 New Member

That's crazy man, giving up a good career over an academy haha at least they're not slipping through the cracks

13. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

I think he meant BPD was one of the easiest depts to get on to, not easiest academy. Not that I agree with easiest to get onto either, but that seems to be what the OP meant. And please save some of the 800+ openings until after the 2019 test lol

14. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I realize thats what he meant (getting a card, taking part in the hiring process etc.) You still have to pass the academy to be "on." Not sure where they got 800 from either thats definitely not the number. I think the recent issue of the Pax said like 350.

woodyd likes this.
  15. Rogergoodwin

One of the toughest academies to get through, one of the easiest to get in. That's what I meant. Mostly due to the size of the department. Much easier than being from a <15k populated town that only hires once every 4 years.

USAF3424 likes this.
  16. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Easiest to get in? Because of the size of the department? What an insult to the thousands of good men and women over the years that passed an extensive background check and worked hard at preparing themselves physically, mentally and academically to "get in".....

woodyd and jckc444 like this.
  17. Rogergoodwin

Read the post again. I never said anything about how hard they prepared. Like I said previously "...One of the toughest academies to get through"
    Wow, people get offended at everything these days. Maybe masscops can set up a safe space.

18. Rogergoodwin

19. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Only lost so far 26 I was the 26th.

20. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Shit really?

21. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Yup Pulmanry Emoblism. Fun time.

22. HuskyH-2