Cruise Ship Runs Aground Off Italy

Discussion in 'Global News Coverage' started by kwflatbed, Jan 14, 2012.

1. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

Being a licensed captain I know there is no excuse for this. There will be big lawsuits with big paydays for many.

2. MARINECOP

MARINECOP MassCops Member

I know many people who have gone on Cruise ships and they have many horror stories about them. I could never in my right mind go on one of those cruise ships and be confined with many people I do not like. It is like a prison at sea. Not to mention, if one person is sick then it spreads like wildfire to all on board.

3. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 111K+Poster

4. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

It's actually not as bad as you think. The cabins can be small, but you don't really spend a lot of time in there. The ships are so big that there are only a few times that we ever saw "crowds." The only time it ever was really a problem was on the NCL cruise in Hawaii and that was mainly because it was a poorly organized, cover charges for most dining, poor dining reservation system, rude/ignorant service desk staff, etc. On Royal Carribean, the only times that it seemed crowded was getting on and off the ship. As for getting sick, I know it happens but I've sailed 4 times and none of us have come down with anything. They clean constantly and have hand sanitizing stations all over the place. Just wash your hands every time you go back to the cabin and assume that everyone you meed is a walking petrie dish. You'll be fine.

Delta784 likes this.
  5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If you want to feel confined and worry about sickness spreading, try 14 hours on a 747 from Los Angeles to Australia. :(

As HH mentioned, cruise ships are so huge, you never feel confined or crowded. I had never been on a cruise ship until 2010, when I went on a one-night "cruise to nowhere" that left the Black Falcon terminal, went to sea, then turned around and came back. I never went on-deck after the ship left port, so except for the very minor engine noise, I would have sworn the ship never moved the entire time.

It was AWESOME.....all there is to do is eat, drink, gamble, and relax.....what's not to like about it?

GeepNutt likes this.
  6. corsair

corsair Supporting Member

The last cruise I took was aboard the USS Bataan, I must say it was not as much fun as the others mentioned above.

7. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

The Associated Press
    Coast Guard to Italian captain: Go back aboard!
    The Associated Press - ‎13 minutes ago‎

ROME (AP) - "You go on board! Is that clear? Do you hear me?" the Coast Guard officer shouted as the captain of the grounded Costa Concordia sat safe in a life raft and frantic passengers struggled to escape after the ship rammed into a reef off the ...

8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I guess for him, "Women and children first" is an outdated concept.

9. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

I think he went to the Teddy Kennedy school of driving:confused:

10. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 111K+Poster

11. LGriffin

LGriffin Supporting Member

12. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

I almost spilled my coffee reading that!

LGriffin likes this.
  13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

"My parents went on an Italian cruise ship, and all I got was this lousy, wet t-shirt".

14. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

Not to mention GPS, Loran (outdated), auto pilot, mandated pesonnel on watch, and common sense, electronic ship identification........................

My license is a 100 ton gross and towing/salvage endorsement. So I have no cruise ship experience. But what the hell? I learned more in the course from a former USCG Master Chief than this "Captain" apparently learned. His license would be classified most likely as unlimited.

Accidents happen. This shouldn't have.

Delta784 and adroitcuffs like this.
  15. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

And a really cool S.O.L.A.S. orange life vest.

Delta784 and adroitcuffs like this.
  16. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I met Alan Hale around 85 , he autographed a menu from his restaurant for me. I had it for years he was a cool guy. Anyways, Marky Mark said he would have saved everyone and the ship.

HistoryHound and Delta784 like this.
  17. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

[​IMG]
    This woman was on the bridge and aint part of the crew..... Capt think'n with his dick?

GARDA and adroitcuffs like this.
  18. cc3915

cc3915 Masscops Angel Staff Member

Cruise ship's cook says captain ordered dinner after crash

(CNN) -- The captain of the Costa Concordia ordered dinner for himself and a woman after the ship struck rocks off Italy's coast, a cook from the ship told a Filipino television station.
    In an interview with GMA Network, cook Rogelio Barista said Capt. Francesco Schettino ordered dinner less than an hour after the accident.
    "We wondered what was going on. ... At that time, we really felt something was wrong. ... The stuff in the kitchen was falling off shelves and we realized how grave the situation was," Barista told GMA.
    Schettino ordered dinner around 10:30 p.m. Friday, Barista said. Authorities say the ship struck the rocks at 9:41 p.m.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/19/world/europe/italy-cruise-cook/index.html

19. adroitcuffs

adroitcuffs Subscribing Member

This guy is a serious oxygen thief. The video coming out now showing staff telling passengers that everything was "under control" and to go back to their cabins is downright disturbing. I understand the importance of maintaining calm during crisis, but telling folks to just go back to their cabins in this situation is absolutely criminal.

GARDA likes this.
  20. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

They should put this coward in a locked phone booth which is then slowly submerged in water while they tell him over a loud speaker that its only an electrical problem and everything will be fine.

Cinderella and GARDA like this.
  21. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

That will teach him to order his drink "on the rocks"......

22. HistoryHound

Well you can't expect a guy to abandon ship on an empty stomach. :rolleyes:

They would have had to force me back to my cabin if I were anywhere near the lifeboats. I don't care what they tell me, until I see for myself everything is ok I'm going to be Dora Doom and assume the worst. A few years ago we went away for our anniversary and were on the 40th floor when the fire alarm went off. By the time we were at the 10th floor they were announcing the false alarm and telling people they could back to their rooms. I was surprised at the number of people that actually turned around on the stairs to go back up. We get to the bottom and it turns out there was a fire in one of the restaurants. Anyone who believes the staff or management when they tell you not to worry go back to your rooms/desks wherever needs to remember that they said the same thing in the South Tower on 9/11.

USMCMP5811, GARDA and Delta784 like this.
  23. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

This story has Italians in it, a boat crash, a "mystery woman"... and now fine dining?

It's sounding more and more like a late night trip to the Shipwreck Lounge in Revere. :rolleyes:

24. HistoryHound

Carnival offers survivors of doomed cruise Costa Concordia 30% off future cruise; outraged passengers prepare for lawsuit

Yeah, I'm sure they all want to sail with Carnival again. "Well we nearly killed you, but hey the trip is on us. Because we appreciate your business so much here's 30% off your next trip with us."

25. justanotherparatrooper

I was just gonna post that HH .